There are few things I enjoy more than grocery shopping. Aisles and aisles of endless inspiration – what could be better? Something far rarer, is finding a grocery store that is inspiration in and of itself. Grosvenor Market is one of these rare finds. Sitting quaintly at the bottom of condominiums, Grosvenor Market is the perfect combination of a grocery store, natural foods store, and farmers market. Best of all, they carry booze – a novelty in Montgomery County, Maryland, where the local government has a monopoly on alcohol sales. The fact that they are old enough to be grandfathered in adds to the charm of the place.
Besides the wine, Grosvenor Market has another thing going for it – Hannah sweet potatoes. A Hannah sweet potato is no ordinary sweet potato. This cream colored sweet potato/yam hybrid is perfectly firm and deliciously sweet, making it an optimal root vegetable for baking. These Hannah sweet potato muffins are the perfect morning treat. The natural sugars in the sweet potato reduce the amount of processed sugar by 25%, which is really just an added bonus because who am I kidding, I was going to make them anyway.
Hannah Sweet Potato Streusel Muffins
(Makes 24 muffins)
15 ounces Hannah sweet potato puree* (approximately 2 medium sweet potatoes)
½ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, room temperature
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups flour
1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
3 tablespoons flour
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cold
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with liners or make your own out of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potato puree, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Add in the eggs and mix until combined.
- Gently stir in (so as not to splash) the melted butter and milk.
- Incorporate the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour until just combined. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, and ground cinnamon.
- Cut the butter into the sugar/flour mixture until it becomes course and resembles cornmeal.
- Fill each muffin tin 2/3rds of the way full with muffin batter.
- Generously sprinkle each muffin with the streusel mixture.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
*To make the sweet potato puree, start by scoring each potato with a fork. Cook each potato individually in the microwave for 6-7 minutes (rotating once). Cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice each potato in half and scoop out the middle. Beat with an electric mixer or wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Store in the fridge for 2-3 days or use once completely cool.