When I was a kid, I thought banana bread was a sensible, well rounded breakfast. Now that I'm old enough to see through the fruity camouflage, I know banana bread for what it truly is - a carby, sugar-bomb. As a fairly regular consumer of baked goods, this tends not to bother me.
Many of my family members steer clear of gluten for a variety of health reasons (thanks Nash genes), so I'm far overdue in sharing a recipe for all to enjoy. Banana bread is the perfect candidate for a flour substitution as the mashed bananas do a wonderful job of masking some of the grittiness found in gluten free flours. The chocolate chips and pistachio crust can't hurt either. Don't let the gluten free fool you - this is indulgent.
Gluten Free Banana Bread with a Pistachio Crust
Makes 1 Loaf
Banana Bread Batter
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, room temperature
2 cups gluten free flour blend (I prefer Bob's Red Mill or Cup 4 Cup)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped pistachios, unroasted and unsalted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a standard loaf pan.
- Before preparing the banana bread, place the chopped pistachios on a sheet pan and roast for 10-15 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas thoroughly.
- Whisk in the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Switching to a wooden spoon, gently stir in the flour, salt, and baking soda until almost combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Generously sprinkle the roasted pistachios on top of the bread followed by a somewhat lighter, but still generous sprinkling of turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting to avoid the bread from drying out.
Adapted from Shelley Albeluhn's Banana Banana Bread recipe.
*And if you are ever in the market for a "healthy" banana bread, I highly recommend Cookie + Kate's recipe.